Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How Far Should My Coffee Table Be From The Couch



After the recent presentation of Wired many have questioned whether it makes sense to do (yet) a newspaper, paper for more about the technology. I confess that I also, in general, are doubtful: most of the information that I eat daily take from the web, which selects the best paper me and my diet makes information much easier to consume. That said, I have arrived at this point - how many other people - because the newspapers of paper does not give you anything more than you give the web.

The other day I was here to give a lecture on new media. Almost all students have told me that they inform on the web and not on paper. The choice of digital is not so Our only one thing more, impallinati technology. But, when I asked, "ever read a book on your computer or e-book?", The answer was not dry. The pleasure of holding a book and be able to browse is much higher.

Now, I will not be so naive to compare a book to a newspaper, but it is clear that the paper (especially newspapers) have caused the loss of that pleasure to the reader to browse. If you open the majority of newspapers are especially many short articles, photos insignificant. This means to compete with the Web, without having the tools. In network news, and I find a lot on how much the Internet has no rivals. In

this sense, the only ones who can play with at the time (more or less) the same weapons are the daily news of the Net free-press, as free as the Web the other journalists - the ones in charge - must give something more, since journalistic point of view (just mentioning all - absolutely everyone - the news, even the most insignificant, the day before) and the graphics, investing more in the photos and infographics and drawings on the Web would not be as enjoyable. Some people do it as International and is going well.

So I think Wired, like any other newspaper that points out this double quality (graphics and journalism), might have some chance, even if on paper. The taste to browse, to touch something to read has not yet lost it.

Ps: Oh, to eliminate (or food) any suspicion, I'm a fan of the print version of Wired, for three reasons: first, the passion, expertise and dedication with which journalistic Richard and his are working, the second is because it is a good product (I was lucky enough to see the number 0) and the third (and last): I am a collaborator.

Ps2: Many say that the paper should be abandoned for environmental reasons. All right. But it was never made a comparison between the amount of energy consumed by computers on which we inform you and the number of trees that are felled to make paper?

0 comments:

Post a Comment